Tuesday, April 14, 2009

UC Berkely Extension: So Much Learning, So Little Time

UC Berkeley Extension just came out with their latest course schedule, and along with it, several new programs in sustainability studies.

You may recall that just over six months ago, I started this blog because I was tired of working for the man and had decided to run off to the Bay Area to write about science for the National Park Service. I was going to be self-employed. (In retrospect, I probably just took the first out from a job I hated - I loved the work I was doing but could not stand the politics, game-playing, and lack of ethics in the agency.)

Alas, I have realized that self-employment is not for me. I do not feel comfortable selling myself, I hate negotiating fees, and I am not the best at keeping track of money. More importantly (I tell myself), I have discovered that writing about things that other people have done bores me. While my Times fellowship was endlessly fascinating, I now believe it was because in a way, I was doing first hand research - interviewing sources and piecing stories together. (And that is why the Science desk was not as exciting to me as the Environment desk.) Now I just read reports and summarize the research other people are doing. Not so exciting. I have always enjoyed writing, so I guess I thought that would be enough, but as it turns out, I love research too.

So. I have been looking for a job (gasp!).

I have the luxury of being selective for once since Matt is making enough money for us to survive, even here in SF, so the plan is to find a job I really love. The problem is, all I am really sure about right now is that I want a job that allows me to utilize both my research and communication skills, and deals with resources in some way - preferably water or energy, and even more preferably, the conservation of them. (Oh and the other problem is the lack of jobs right now.)

In addition, I have always been interested in the more broad topic of sustainability and sustainable or green design. So I am currently taking a class at UC Berkeley Extension called "Overcoming Barriers to Implementing Sustainable Change." Love the topic, but still don't feel like I have the experience or skills to be a broad-based sustainability coordinator for an organization. I think I may want to be more specialized. So I was thinking of taking more classes, and maybe even getting a professional certificate.

Here's the new problem: Extension added a bunch more sequences this semester, but they don't overlap much and don't have electives. So I could wind up taking a variety of classes that interest me and never obtaining a certificate. Or I have to really focus my career goals right now. Just for example, the options are:
Since I have always had a wide variety of interests, I have generally just looked through job ads and applied to ones that sounded interesting. I think now I need to be more proactive - decide what I want to do, start meeting people in the field, and even waiting for the perfect opening if need be. I am also thinking of refreshing and improving my Spanish or beginning Mandarin because so many job ads in this city prefer a second language.

If anyone has any ideas about what I should do with my life, or how to focus my interests, I am all ears. I still have a few exciting job prospects right now, but I am not holding my breath in this economy.

I think I always thought two degrees really should be enough, but the job market is so tight right now that your education and experience have to be super-specific and relevant to the job description. And unfortunately there's not much of a market for water resources dynamic simulation modelers.

No comments: