Thursday, April 23, 2009

The National Parks: America's Best Idea



Last night Matt and I were lucky enough to see a sneak peek of this upcoming 12 hour documentary series made by the famous Ken Burns (and see an interview with Burns and Dayton Duncan, above). We saw just one hour, and it was fantastic. The clips reminded me, in so many ways, of why I once upon a time switched my major from engineering to outdoor recreation. I had become kind of tired of engineering, so I decided to add a minor in recreation management. One of the classes I took was REC 480: Wilderness and Parks in America, taught by Dr. Randy Virden. After sitting through classes of history and democratic ideals, learning about John Muir, Teddy Roosevelt, and other historic figures in the movement to create National Parks, I was hooked. I never took another engineering class. The idea of National Parks may not have been this country's best idea, but surely it was one of our greatest - preserving magnificent landscapes for the enjoyment of the public, not just the rich and powerful. I believe this idea was truly empowering for our nation.

I could go on and on, but also you could see this film for yourself. Mark your calendars for September 27.

I was expecting a film of beautiful landscapes and maybe some history, but what surprised me is the focus this film also has on race. I know they will discuss the dispossession of the Indians that occurred in order to get some of the park lands, and we also saw clips that dealt with the internment of Japanese Americans during World War II and their relationship with National Parks. I nearly cried.

This film will open your eyes not just to the history of the parks themselves, but to American history. It will discuss topics that are often left off the table, or brushed quickly aside, as they were in my classes. Ken Burns said the film deals with two themes, race and space (as in physical space, not outer). I think that in the end, the film will probably demonstrate that this country has made some terrible mistakes, but at least we have made a few good decisions as well, and perhaps the parks are one of those good decisions that have in the past, and hopefully will continue to, provided solace to some of those dispossessed and persecuted.

What a great film! I am so excited to see it in its entirety.

No comments: