Saturday, April 4, 2009

Iowa Supreme Court Strikes Down Gay Marriage Ban

Yay for Iowa! (Never thought I'd say that...)

Read the 6 page news release here.

Read the San Francisco Chronicle editorial here.

And the local Des Moines Register article here.

I wish this meant something for California, but it doesn't at all. The Iowa court decision declared a code change unconstitutional. Here in California, the voters changed the constitution. So the legal principles are completely different I guess. And it doesn't mean that conservative Iowa voters won't place a constitutional amendment or revision on a ballot in the future to get around this stumbling block as the California voters have.

Nevertheless, still a good step. (Although, really, who wants to get married in Iowa?) Hopefully something good will happen in the California Supreme Court because it seems crazy that the majority can take away rights from the minority simply by a vote. I don't think that's true to the founding principles of our country.

2 comments:

baillie said...

Hey wait, my parents got married in Iowa! I'm pretty sure...

Karen said...

Sweden is allowing gay marriage now too.