Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Last Days of Spring

"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." ~Mark Twain

Yesterday I dropped my car off at its doctor, walked a few miles over to Japan Town and ate some inari outside by the Peace Tower before getting my hair cut nearby. Unfortunately, I forgot my camera on this mini-venture.

Then I decided to walk home, since it was a nice day, one of my last days of freedom, and swine flu probably travels on public transit. I got distracted about 1/2 of the way home by a Jamba Juice, which offered me a no sugar added, dairy free, lovely pomegranate beverage. I sat outside at a patio table, no jacket on, reading a magazine, and realized a massive edifice known as the US Mint rose behind me. (And somehow I've never noticed it before.)

Later on my way home, I discovered a new staircase bordered with flowers, offering astonishing city views, and killing my calves. There were even benches for resting and a water fountain for both humans and puppies.

When I returned home after my 5+ mile urban hike, I discovered I'd been sunburned.

The lovely, warm temperature I have learned, was a whopping 59 degrees.

Maybe I'm getting used to it, just in time for winter.

1 comment:

Karen said...

What's wrong with your car?