Thursday, April 23, 2009

Oh, Smuckers. How You Disappoint.



I am a PB&J fan. I have it almost everyday for lunch if we don't have leftovers. I like it on Safeway O Brand Seeds & Grains bread with Safeway O Brand creamy peanut butter. But I've been having a hard time with the jam. All the organic or natural stuff is either ridiculously expensive or actually preserves, it seems. And folks, I don't eat crunchy peanut butter, so I certainly don't want, for instance, WHOLE blackberries in my sandwich.

So in a moment of desperation, I picked up the smooth jam, my childhood staple - Smuckers. As I was looking at the label today, I realized that this jam contains not only high fructose corn syrup, but also regular old corn syrup and sugar. YUCK!

Sometimes I forget why I like to buy organic food. Sometimes I think I am just doing it for the environment or it is now just a habit. And I forget that actually eating gross ingredients like corn syrup stinks.

Here is my advice: never stop reading labels.

Now, could someone please suggest for me a tasty, not chunky natural or organic jam?

PS Will you miss me when I have a job and can no longer blog about my super exciting lunches?

PPS Is 11:20 too early for lunch?

2 comments:

Ms. S said...

I make my own... the tastiest EVER and you can control the ingredients that way. Believe it or not, its SUPER easy. Lemon is a natural pectin. I mostly make freezer jams, but shelf stable jellies are easy too. I'm sure Google has a few recipes. Just my two cents.

Natalie said...

Lunch can never be too early. I ate my PB&J at 8:45am this morning.