Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Just Watched: Earth

So I confess to not having seen the Planet Earth DVD series. I guess we should netflix it. (Do you love how netflix has turned into a verb like google?) I'm hoping I would like it better.

I realize that Earth was made by Disney, rated G, and therefore directed mainly at kids, but I thought it would be a bit more adult-friendly. Don't get me wrong, the film contained some fantastic images: polar bears peaking out of the den, ducklings falling to the ground and bouncing off the leaves, elephants running into each other. Sadness also pervaded the movie: a polar bear starving to death, an elephant following its mother's footsteps in the wrong direction, baby animals being caught by predators.

However, the storyline jumps around all over the place between species as it tries to follow the seasons. Animals are anthropomorphized more than they probably ought to be, and the narration shoves things in your face that would be best left discovered yourself. However, the narration also fails to identify many of the species, and I didn't find the story very cohesive.

I suspect that your time would be more well-spent watching Planet Earth. I will let you know once I get around to it.

2 comments:

Ms. S said...

I highly recommend the original BBC version with David Attenborough as the narrator. Somehow they are more awe inspiring with his voice than Sigourney Weaver's. Could just be me.

Karen said...

I was not aware netflix has become a verb. You are the first person I have seen use it that way.