Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A Night at the Cal Academy



Last night we went to see a lecture called Habitable Worlds. It was held in the planetarium, which was cool because they did fly-throughs of the universe. After two fire alarms and some technical difficulties, the program that was supposed to end at 9 finally finished at 9:45. I love that the staff passed out stickers to the adult audience to try to make up for it though. What should I do with my chameleon?

I also felt sorry for Claude, the albino alligator, who seemed none too pleased about the fire alarms considering he actually moved on his rock for once.

As for the lecture, the part about how to find planets using the Doppler effect was pretty cool, but I still don't understand why astronomers assume that life on other planets must start on planets like ours and look like life as we know it. It seems as though there would be so many other possibilities. I guess I'll leave it to the experts though.

1 comment:

baillie said...

Dr. Dirk Schulze-Makuch at Washington State has studied (or thought about) life outside the constraints of the "normal." Very interesting stuff!