Sunday, March 4, 2012

Tour of Anchorage (Day 12)

Today I completed a 40k XC ski marathon. This amounts to approximately 25 miles, or nearly a full marathon, and definitely farther than I have ever travelled in one day on my own two feet. This may have been my most difficult event yet. Pretty much every movement past the 20k mark came from sheer willpower.

I was home sick from work with a cold or mild flu most of the week, and although I am better, I am not yet recovered. The first 5 or 10k of the race involved climbing several hills, which is where I first noticed that the cold was getting me. Then I realized my camelbak was frozen, and I was never able to unfreeze it. I continued to carry this dead weight (70 oz) of water for at least 30k before I had the bright idea to dump it out. Clearly my brain was not working so well. My shoulders were extremely tired. I stopped at every feed station for at least one cup of water or gatorade, but I was still often thirsty, especially the last 10k where no feed stations were to be found. The lack of water also limited my eating choices, as some of my snacks made me to thirsty. I subsisted on shot blocks most of the event, and finished my last one mid-way up the last hill.

As usual, the TNT support was amazing, from the hotel in the morning to the start line to various anchorage members along the course, our manager and special cheered Larry, and everyone at the end who had already finished. I thanked them by being the rude, no responsive person coming up the last hill. I had nothing left.

It took me maybe 15 minutes less than 6 hours. I was so exhausted that I didn't even remember to check my time. After an influx of water, hot chocolate, and pizza, I began to feel like a normal human being again and returned to the finish to cheer in the rest of my amazing teammates.

I probably failed to mention that the scenery was amazing. Even now I am sitting in bed, watching a gorgeous twilight over the inlet. We were actually treated to sun today despite the previous prediction of snow. I guess someone was looking out for us. Thanks Alaska!

1 comment:

baillie said...

Now I feel extra bad for not coming to support you, maybe I could have helped somehow. :/