Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Elusive Full Marathon (Day 19)

Today I sent an email request to downgrade my Oakland Running Festival entry from full to half. This makes the 3rd marathon for which I have been signed up but will not complete. The marathon remains elusive.

The first one, San Diego, I had been hurt early in the season and was woefully unprepared for my first half marathon that season at Avenue of the Giants. After those 13.1 miles, I ran-walked a 19 mile training run, which actually went fine. But I was still nervous about attempting to run a marathon on only one run longer than a half marathon. So I downgraded that entry. Looking back on it, I probably just should have done it that time. There were other people running it with whom I probably could have kept up. I was no longer hurt at the time. But I was reasonable instead.

The second one, Big Sur, I trained well for. I completed a lot of runs over 13 miles, including an 18 mile run in 3 hours. But that proved to be my downfall. After that run, my toe started hurting, and it eventually got to the point where I could not run more than 4 miles without pain. I saw a doctor and a physical therapist in hopes I could complete the race. One suggested I could and one suggested I shouldn't. The course was an out and back without many spectators, and I worried that if the pain started during the race I would not have much recourse. Then my grandmother's memorial service was scheduled for the weekend of the race. So I bailed.

This time I thought I was going to make it happen. It occurs just 3 weeks after my ski marathon, so I knew I would be in good shape, and I had been told by a coach that I could replace some long runs with skis. That meant fewer opportunities for repetitive stress injuries. I ran a fabulous half marathon, but when I went out for a 15 mile run the next week, my toe pain returned and I completed only 6 miles. In an effort to preserve myself for my primary event, the ski marathon, I stopped running. No 15 or 17 mile runs as I had planned. I kept telling people maybe I would just go out for the full anyway and take a bus home when my joints complained, because after all, the race is in Oakland. I went out for a 6 mile run yesterday and felt quite fine.

But then I realized that was silly. Even run-walking, I am sure my joints are woefully unprepared to jump from 13.1 miles to 26.2 with nothing in between except skiing (up to 25 miles!). So I did the reasonable thing and asked for a downgrade to the half. Maybe I can even attempt a PR. But for now, again, there will be no marathon. That charm remains in its case, waiting to be added to my running charm bracelet. Maybe someday!

No comments: