Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Skewer Drama (Day 29)

(Clearly I have nothing valuable to contribute to the writing sphere today and you should probably just stop reading now...)

This winter I have been attending my XC Ski coach's free spin classes at Sports Basement. My coach had been nice enough to bring me a trainer to borrow for several classes, but it had become time to acquire my own trainer so he could accommodate other new people in his classes. Luckily one of my teammates offered me his trainer as he has a fancy new device. He claimed his trainer was nice enough not to ruin skewers, so I was not supposed to need a special trainer skewer. However my skewer turned out to be square and would not sit properly in the trainer.

So my coach told me he would bring me a skewer to borrow for that week's class if I ordered a trainer skewer online. S that's what happened, and he even let me take the skewer home with me so I could spin at home. (Which was great because I discovered running after spinning is awesome.) My new trainer skewer arrived in the mail last weekend, and I promptly put it on my bike. Because a little extra weight never bothered me (I have a steel bike after all), I figured I would just leave the trainer skewer in rather than having to change it every week for spin class. So when my bike went to the shop this week, it went in with the trainer skewer. It apparently did not come out with it.

When I showed up at spin class this evening, I returned my coach's skewer to him, and he lent it to someone else for the class. I then promptly discovered that my local bike shop had replaced my trainer skewer with a new skewer matching the lever up front. I am sure they thought they were doing me a favor.

Luckily my coach was able to get the new square skewer to sit in the trainer sufficiently for the class. I called the bike shop and they were very apologetic and told me to come in anytime to pick up the skewer. My coach said, "So much for hearting your local bike shop." Not sure what their deal is with skewers. The last time I had my bike in for service, they called me the next day and told me they had left their trainer skewer in my bike and could I come in to return it to them. I was skeptical of this based on the appearance of my skewer, and when I went in they confirmed, that no, I did not have the trainer skewer. Luckily I do not live far from the bike shop, and they are still nice enough to make it worth it.

Ah the skewer drama!

No comments: