Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Alaska (Day 14)

So I skipped a day. Do I post-date a blog and call it good? Do I just skip it? After all, it is the unlucky number 13. Not that I find that number unlucky - I used to wear it in basketball.

Anyway...

I had an amazing time in Alaska! My team is full of fabulous people. In addition to the event itself, we explored the local beers, watched the ceremonial start of the Iditarod, had a practice ski, watched some people in funny costumes be chased by reindeer, enjoyed team meals, took a tram up Mt. Alyeska in minimal visibility, and saw meese, elk, musk ox, bald eagles, Kodiak brown bear cubs, and more reindeer. Then we explored more local beers.

Finally I learned what it is like to depart when about 6 inches of freshly fallen snow have landed on the plane and runway. Step 1: several de-icings. Step 2: sit a the end of the unplowed runway with brakes on and engines revving to full power. step 3: release the brakes and shoot off down the runway. Scary! I think I saw that move on Pan Am when they were trying to escape from Haiti...

Anyway, more thoughts and pictures to come later.

No comments: