Monday, March 19, 2012

I Heart My Local Bike Shop (Day 27)

Today I dropped my bike off for its semi-annual tune-up and inspection at Tip Top Bike Shop in Temescal. The co-owner, Richard, greeted me by name and proceeded to lead me through an assessment. New brake pads, new chain, possibly new rear cassette, new rear tire. Yikes! Bikes are an expensive proposition. Then I asked about a new saddle, so he and his co-owner, Charlotte, took me over to the saddles and discussed which I should try, which ultimately was not in stock at the time. So Charlotte took my name down to call me next week when they come in. Meanwhile Richard found the brake pads for my bike so he could price the estimate for work. While Sam, one of the mechanics, ran the estimate for me, Richard talked to me about how my ski season had gone. In between, Charlotte and Richard greeted and bade farewell to other customers like old friends.

Tip Top is where I originally purchased my bike last year, and it comes with free maintenance. They were the fourth shop I visited when searching for a bike following: Montano Velo (which I liked but did not really have a good bike for me in stock), Missing Link, and Mike's Bikes. Charlotte was super friendly, extremely patient with me, and totally not one of those bike snobs who seems to mock you for knowing nothing about bikes. In fact, today Richard had to tell me that my front wheel was not on completely straight and didn't make me feel bad about it at all. This couple really knows how to make a person feel good about dropping a couple hundred bucks on a toy. Although for them, the toy is really a useful method of transportation. I generally just ride my bike in a circle...

I just found this cool video on their website today. Check out the video and next time you're in Oakland, check out the shop!



Tip Top Bike Shop from Video For The People on Vimeo.

No comments: