Monday, March 26, 2012

Cupcakes for a Penny?! (Day 34)

I have complained about my neighborhood before, I'm sure. It's very nice and pretty and well-maintained, and we see all sorts of people out walking about, but people just aren't friendly. They try to avoid eye contact. They don't respond when you say hi. They yell at their dogs for taking an interest in you.

Today as I walked home, a little girl was drawing in chalk on the sidewalk. As I approached she suddenly shot up and said, "Cupcakes for sale! Would you like a cupcake?" I stopped. Her little brother was sitting at a tiny table with a tray of cupcakes in front of him.

"How much?" I asked.

"One dollar," she proclaimed. Then, "One penny or one nickel."

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"One penny or one nickel. How does that make you feel?" she responded.

"Well I think you should charge more," I offered.

I opened my wallet to find I had no dollar bills. "Do you have change?" I asked. This concept was a bit beyond them.

The father, who had been sitting on the steps, walked over and said, "It's one coin. Here's the deal: After we sell seven more of these cupcakes, I get to go inside."

I laughed and dropped my approximately 40 cents in change into their cup.

The little girl picked up a cupcake and held it towards me. "Would you like whipped cream or sprinkles?"

I declined, and continued on my way home. Quite a steal for a cupcake - the coffee shop down the road sells them for about $3.

I'm not sure if this was a spring break adventure. I'm kind of sad that the father was bored of hanging outside with his cute children who seemed to be quite enjoying themselves. It was a fairly nice day. But hey - at least I finally talked to someone in my neighborhood.

1 comment:

Ms. S said...

and got a cupcake to boot. chocolate??