Saturday, March 3, 2012

Alaska (Day 11)

Yesterday afternoon I saw Alaska for the first time. Flying into Anchorage, we passed snow-covered peaks emerging from the clouds. Then whole mountain ranges covered in snow from crest to plains. The landscape seemed so, well, immense.

Then we could see the sea, filled with ice. First covered in splotchy segments from bright white to nearly black. Then paths cut through by ice breakers. In some places, ice just floating on the sea. Unfortunately we were below the altitude at which you have to turn your electronics off. I had a hard time telling the difference between sea and land. The landscape continued, unbroken by civilization, at least that I could see. I could not see Russia.

I am so excited to be here. A landscape so different from any I have seen before. And I haven't frozen yet.

Today, the Iditarod.

No comments: