Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Transit Adventures IV

This afternoon I ventured into the city to meet up with Matt for the missing City Walks SF #9 (now updated). I hopped on the bus, grabbed a transfer, and headed into the subway. When I got off the train, police were checking transfers and passes.

As Matt can tell you, I am notorious (amongst the immediate family) for never being able to find my transfer. I never remember which pocket I put it in or, heaven forbid, which part of my gigantic bag it might be hiding in. I recently started trying to put my transfers in the same purse pocket every time. (I have to have transfers because Matt thinks I don't ride the bus enough to pay for a transit pass. I think it would be paid for with my peace of mind...) So, when stopped by the police, I pulled the entire contents of the pocket out. After a moment of shuffling papers, I produced a transfer.

Unfortunately the transfer was from February 1st, which I realized as soon as I held it up because it was too long for the one I got today (the length of transfers depends on how long it is good until). So I immediately shuffled around for the real transfer, during which the police lady said, "What date is that?" I suddenly found the correct transfer, mistakenly said, "Oh there it is," and then showed the correct transfer to the police officer.

You would have thought I was trying to skip town, or even trying to not pay a lousy $1.50 transit fare. She gave me a lecture on how next time I better show her the correct transfer the first time, and not try to pass one off with the wrong date.

Good grief! It's not like I didn't have the correct transfer. That would be a different story. I obviously wasn't trying to evade the system. And yet I nearly got slapped with a multi-hundred dollar fine.

Matt may have to buy me a bus pass.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Bus passes are well worth it no matter how much you use it. Speaking from Geneva experience.