Friday, February 27, 2009

2009 is Time to Travel

I recently read a post by Crazy Aunt Purl about her solo trip to Madrid, and I started getting the travel bug. Actually, Matt and I have been talking for awhile about planning a trip, but so far the idea of going to Atlanta to see some of Matt's family was the only one, which would be fine for a long weekend, but was not really the kind of travel I was itching to plan. I like to have trips to look forward to, but we don't even know anyone getting married this year, so we don't have any automatic travel plans. We will be going to Phoenix this summer to meet the baby, but obviously Phoenix isn't new and exciting for us.

So. Crazy Aunt Purl also blogged about the buzz feature on kayak.com, so I moseyed over to check it out. What did I find? $400 tickets to Ireland! I immediately knew this was where I wanted to go. It is precisely the kind of vacation Matt and I will enjoy going on together. I don't feel like we do cities as well because Matt really likes to go to museums and such, and I would rather be wandering around or hiking. So Ireland will be great. We'll spend a bit of time in Dublin, but mostly we will be checking out castles and taking walks along the coasts. And the tickets are only an extra $100 than tickets to Atlanta. Not bad.

Okay, I know the economy sucks, but this trip is affordable for us even though I don't have a real job. We might just try to eat out less in the next couple months. And the great thing is, we paid off Matt's student loan and are now completely out of debt. This trip will also cost just slightly more than the cost of one month's rent for us, so even if, god forbid, Matt were to lose his job, this trip wouldn't make the difference between us surviving and not. Also, I always like to have trips pre-planned before I take a full-time job because then if they want to hire you, they pretty much have to give you the time off. I have done this for multiple jobs in a row now. And when else will we be able to go to Ireland so cheaply! Never!

Did I mention we are going to Ireland in May? I am super excited! Checkout kayak.com and see where you could go.

No comments: