Thursday, February 26, 2009

Global Population Speak Out

I just received a press release from an environmental organization announcing that they had pledged their support to something called Global Population Speak Out. The group's tagline is "breaking down the barrier to public discussion of population," and their goal is to recruit respected scientists and organizations to bring up the subject of how consumption by a huge and growing population threatens our resources and the earth itself.

I was apprehensive at first. Although I solemnly agree that there are too many people on this earth and counting, I have heard enough people use this as an argument to prevent immigration to the US (despite the fact that those people have to live somewhere on this, our only planet, and we, the citizens of the US, use far more than our share of resources) that I am skeptical of so-called population activists. Most of the time I feel we are on opposite sides of the political and humanitarian spectrum.

Anyway, this group seems to have good intentions at this time, and has been signed on to but such heavyweights as the Ehrlichs. However, one must dig fairly far into the website to find anything out about their solutions. To my relief, one of these solutions is the education of women. This approach certainly benefits not just the environment, but also the quality of life for many people. I am all for education and family planning efforts.

I have not yet confirmed the intentions of this group, but talking about population problems, without trying to shut down immigration or institute mandatory population control measures, is certainly important.

No comments: