Sunday, June 20, 2010

Let the Sailing Begin!

When Matt and I went on our first sail a few weeks ago, the other four people on our boat were young, outgoing, fun, and very friendly. And of course I have met some great people through Team in Training, so naturally we assumed that this whole Sail for a Cure program would be full of great people as well. Turns out we may have been a wee bit wrong... At kickoff yesterday, the other people in the room were a bit odd and not too friendly. Now I hate to judge a book by its cover, and I sure don't want to go into the season with a bad attitude, so I'm definitely hoping that all the participants are good apples and perhaps just a bit shy. Or awkward. Being rather awkward myself, I can certainly handle that.

Despite this possibly minor hiccup, I am still looking very forward to learning to sail! And to race. I am a slight bit competitive, so I'm hoping that I am competent enough to at least not come in dead last. I've already started reading my textbooks!

In the meantime, I want to sail with you! If you live in the Bay Area or want to be here July 10th, please make a donation to our fundraising campaign. You will be making a huge difference to someone with blood cancer, like Max Harris, and the highest donor will receive two passes to join us at a fun sail and BBQ! Imagine spending up to 6 hours on the water of beautiful San Francisco Bay! There's even a "Sore Loser" prize. Check out our website for details.

After we become certified in the fall, we will be able to rent boats, and we look forward to actually taking you out on the water as skippers. Of course that means you'll be our crew. What could be more fun?

No comments: