Saturday, June 27, 2009

Public Open Spaces



I have forgotten to mention that while we were in Ireland, a public open space popped up at the corner of Castro and Market. While the streetcar (or F train, as Matt likes to call it) can pass through, cars no longer can. There are planters and tables and chairs sitting there - and they're not bolted down; I have yet to figure out how they stay there. It is now always full of people.

Thursday when I was waiting for the bus, I watched a group of 30 to 40 bicyclists dismount at the plaza and proceed to dance. When the song ended, they got back on their bikes and followed the stereo down Market. People clapped.

Also Thursday I learned that the Kaiser building next to my office has a public rooftop garden. Sounds like a new lunch spot (not that I ever take lunch...).

No comments: