Tuesday, January 20, 2009

More Comments on the Bright New Future

Everyone knows I am prone to pessimism. Everyone knows I have been embarrassed by my country. I have held up other nations who have long elected women to top office. I have threatened to run away to Canada. I have been unable to embrace Obama's message of hope.

But the one message that hit me most today, aside from the millions of people chanting our new President's name in the terrible cold, was that the reason our country is actually great is the peaceful transfer of power. No matter how power-hungry Cheney might be, no matter how good a president Bush thinks he is, they calmly step aside (or roll aside, as the case may be) when their power expires.

No matter how pessimistic I may be about our country, this is not Russia. Or Zimbabwe. It is a democracy, and we should all choose to participate and never take things lying down (ahem, Al Gore).

P.S. Dear Al, I can't thank you enough for all the work you have done for the environment.

P.P.S. Best of luck to you, Teddy.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Teddy? Have I missed something?

baillie said...

Teddy = Senator Theodore Kennedy