Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Nature in the City



When I woke up this morning, I could see nothing outside. The sliding door was fogged up, and the whole hillside was shrouded in fog. But I could hear the birds chirping, and they sounded happy. And then the sun came out!

I may complain that we're on the wrong side of the apartment building so we don't have a view of the city, or that we have to walk too far to grab a bite to eat or a drink, but I really am glad I have this slice of nature in the bustle of the city.

Everyday when I see the city in the sunset glow, or the sun shining off the bay, or when I drive around a corner and see the Golden Gate Bridge or the waves breaking on Rodeo Beach, I smile. My goal is to not become complacent with these spectacular views. Even my own piece of grassy hillside. So don't let me complain.

Happy New Year's! I hope you can hear birds chirp wherever you are as well.

No comments: