Saturday, December 13, 2008

Just Watched: Last King of Scotland


www.amazon.com

Despite the fact that I have enjoyed other movies set in Africa that depict quite horrible events (Blood Diamond, Hotel Rwanda, Tsotsi), this movie was too much for me. Scenes I hoped were dream sequences simply were not. The entire movie was very much real, with extremely bad things happening to characters that had been developed and known to the audience. The trauma did not happen to nameless, faceless characters.

I will never watch this movie again. Perhaps we should watch it at least once to get a grasp of the evil still happening in much of the world. But once was my limit. If you do watch it, do not go into it innocently like I did - Oh a silly, young Scottish doctor in Africa who likes to sleep with the ladies. How amusing. It is not.

No comments: