Thursday, December 4, 2008

Just Read: The World Without Us


www.betterworld.com

It appeared from the boarding pass I found in this book, by Alan Weisman, that the last time I had picked it up was on my trip to Michigan this past July. It's a dense book, full of well-researched examples from all over the earth, about what would (or will?) happen after the human population is gone. I recall finding it interesting, but obviously I went nearly half a year without picking up the book again. (In my defense, I have been on one of the longest fiction kicks of my life.)

So while I was stuck in the airport for several hours, waiting for my flight home from Thanksgiving weekend, I finally finished the book! What's the message? We've done a lot of crap to the world (no surprise), some of it will outlast us for eons and some of it won't, and at least some of the other species will probably adapt to whatever crazy world we've left behind. Weisman's only hope seems to be that if each woman only had one child, we could actually improve our situation.

We all know that I agree with that concept. There are plenty of kids out there needing homes if you really must raise more than one chilid. But, to each his own. Maybe we're doomed anyway, so what's the point? Isn't that a bright note!

Bottom line: interesting read, but not I book I plan to keep on the shelf for posterity.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

no offense to only children--but I don't think the world would be a better place if everyone was an only child....

Alison said...

I don't recall saying that, or even implying that. What's wrong with adopting siblings? Anyway, I realize that it has about zero chance of happening, so I'm not worried about it.