Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Just Watched: The Diving Bell and The Butterfly


I confess that I saw this movie before reading the book. For some reason it didn't occur to me until just now that maybe I should read the book. Somehow, despite the fact that the entire movie (nearly) is about the book, my mind glossed over that fact. Anyway.

This movie is about Jean-Dominique Bauby, former editor of Elle, who suffered a stroke but after waking up from his coma with locked-in syndrome, proceeded to write a book through dictation by blinking one eye-lid. He died of pneumonia just 10 days after publication of this book. However, I was worried that the movie might be a touch, well, boring. I mean, watching a guy blink one eye-lid over and over? Come on.

However, I was pleasantly surprised. The movie, filled with many beautiful women, all of them loved in some way by Bauby, was quite inspiring and beautiful in and of itself. The sequences of lustful imagination, the precious moments with his children, the lovely relationship with the woman taking his dictation, and the gorgeous seaside. All fabulous. I was at times confused by which woman he was fantasizing about, but Matt was able to keep better track, for some reason... I didn't even find the somewhat blatant sexism offensive, as, if that is all you have to live for, well then, go ahead. More power to you.

Recommended.

No comments: