Friday, September 26, 2008

Just Read: A Dangerous Place

As promised, my review of Marc Reisner's book:

I kind of think it was a cheap byproduct of Cadillac Desert. He obviously used much of his water research to write this book, and the entire scenario is based on comments a geologist gave him about Cadillac Desert - basically that it failed to address what could happen to California's water supplies in the event of a large earthquake near the Delta. The whole book read as if it came straight out of Cadillac Desert - and maybe part of it did, I just can't remember.

However, as far as a scare tactic, it just did not work for me. In his scenario, only a couple thousand people died. Yes, that's a lot, like in Katrina, but large earthquakes around the world have produced death tolls up to half a million people. That is freaking scary. A few thousand? Not bad odds in the populated Bay Area - makes me want to take my chances.

I will not be keeping the book, so if you're looking for a fast, easy beach read, almost like a novel, just let me know!

No comments: