Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Isolation in view of the City

Apparently it’s a feature of Park Service housing – the lack of land lines, cell phone reception, and of course internet. I have been a bit cut off from the world, as I was at Bryce.

But I can’t complain; it is amazingly beautiful here. I remember being in the city and staring across the Golden Gate at the bright green Marin headlands and thinking it must be nice over there. For some reason I never went. I was not one of the intrepid souls who pedal rented bikes over the bridge and down into Sausalito, or occasionally into the park. Luckily, I have been given a second chance, and now I can look across the bridge at the city, draped in fog, lit up at night, or maybe, one day, in full sun.

Here is my World War II era military housing set in the hills:


Here is my World War II era office building (the one in the back) that was supposed to be temporary:

And here is the view from the office:

Not bad, eh?

I still don’t have any pictures of the bridge and the city, as my camera died at an inopportune time. But I’m pretty sure my house is only slightly over a mile from the bridge. I had no idea I was that close.

I’ve also been to parts of Point Reyes as well, which is beautiful in a completely different way. I will try to get the camera out there in the near future as well.

Anyway, if you ever want to reach me I do have the internet and text messaging capability at my office. I am a 1-mile bike ride through a scary tunnel to the nearest location of cell phone service, so phone calls require planning ahead.

My housing is quite dirty, but my roommate is moving out, and if people want to come visit, I will think about cleaning it. Although I’m pretty sure most of the yuck is permanent…

I know New Mexico is beautiful and all, but if I had to choose…I think you know. And hopefully I’ll get my husband back soon!

2 comments:

baillie said...

Capehart? Where'd that come from?

Karen said...

i require no planning ahead, call me at your leisure. but how can you get texts but not calls at the office?