Friday, March 13, 2009

Just Read: Cradle to Cradle


www.betterworld.com

I've been reading another "eco-classic," this one published way back in 2002. And boy I should have read it then. If so, I might not have purchased my lovely rug made of recycled soda bottles that is apparently releasing terrible toxins into the air as it abrades. The authors point out many cases in which recycling isn't always better. In which doing less harm is just prolonging the fate of the planet. In which environmentalists should be depressed and guilt-ridden.

The upshot of this book is that we can redesign the man-made world and our products and buildings and everything else in way that not only "does no harm" but also does good. Their point is that we shouldn't just try to improve the current processes and focus on efficiency, but we should start back at the beginning and re-imagine a whole new product or existence.

Well, that is hopeful, and definitely something more people and companies should be pursuing. But I can't help but think that it is a bad idea to dissuade people from recycling. To me, these efficiency and recycling initiatives are just a stop on the way towards greater design and a healthier planet. Or maybe I just don't want to feel bad about myself for being suckered into buying recycled products that may be terrible for both my health and the environment. Ah well...

Easy, fast read, so why not judge for yourself.

No comments: