Sunday, July 19, 2009

(Mis)Adventures in the Mountains



That's Lake Tahoe in the summer! We didn't mean to go there, but alas we had a mishap:



After taking a lovely run/hike around the beautiful Silver Lake, 30 miles this side of Tahoe, we started hunting for a campsite and instead found a flat tire. Rather than driving back down the mountain with a donut, we decided to head into South Lake Tahoe to get the tire repaired.

Of course all the repairshops were closed for the night, and all the campgrounds were full and the hotels $120 (Days Inn), so we pulled off the side of the road and woke up next to this:


Unfortunately Matt woke up complaining of not feeling good, but I did drag him to Fallen Leaf Lake (which I loved in the winter as well).





Then we played some Bocce ball on the beach while we waited for a tire shop to open, but Matt didn't feel well enough to go kayaking.

After we got the tire repaired, we headed home, leaving probably before noon, and not arriving until 5. WORST. TRAFFIC. EVER. I may never drive anywhere again.

So although we meant to spend the weekend hiking and kayaking around Silver Lake, we had a bit of an adventure instead. All was beautiful, though.

(However, I become more and more sure I should never have kids every time Matt gets sick. I have little sympathy and feel sorry for myself instead! I am such a bad wife... Although I did drive 5 hours all by myself.)

2 comments:

Karen said...

You slept in the car??!! You ghetto kids!

Alison said...

I didn't mean to imply we slept in the car - we actually put up a tent right next to it!