Saturday, April 7, 2012

Mother


My mother stands in front of a mirror and says,
“I hate to look at my face.”
It’s the wrinkles she fears – those subtle
            lines of wisdom, experience, life itself
Fifty-five, looking barely forty-six
Her worries are needless
Yet she compares her face to mine
            And I am green in the world, young in life
            My face like a baby’s – two eyes peering out unknowing
            Innocent
            Brash

My face is my mother’s a few years ago
But she faces the mirror and says,
“I look so old.”
She does not understand she looks like life treated well
            I want to age like her
            An imprint of a good life to show the world
            Lines of age, but mostly beauty

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice. My mom is sixty two and I think she looks better than Madonna. Life didn't treat her very well but maybe she has some good genes or something. :D