Thursday, April 5, 2012

Bryce Canyon Collection (Part II)


II


I walk over rocks;
I walk through time,
through space, through beauty,
through true amazement.
My shoes grow white, and orange, and yellow;
dust coats my pants; eroded limestone.
I am part of the landscape, of the rock, of the spell of the hoodoos.
The wind blows as I traverse the ridge,
trying to conquer my harsh environment
while it threatens to conquer me.
Just pick me up and toss me off like a feather in the wind.

But I will still be with the land and it will be with me
as I fade into purple and pink and red,
the color of hoodoo in the setting sun.
You cannot separate me from this place,
for it is a part of us all.
The Legend People watch over me, serene in their eternal beauty;
inviting almost to join them as they cast their spell.

I walk through trees, a part of the rocks,
an inspiration in their survival in a land
of streams without water.
I walk through history
and the fears and happiness and awe and power
that are extracted from all who pass by.
I am a Fremont, a Paiute, a Mormon, a geologist.
I am everyone who has gone before and all who will follow me.
I was history,
I am history,
I make history
with every step I take in this awesome place
and every breath that takes in the dust of the hoodoos
and the scent of the ponderosa pine.

I walk through would-be camera snapshots
but I have left my camera;
it will not tell the story that my mind can tell
of the hoodoos’ color in the cloudy light when shadows
fell through the Amphitheater
and each minute was a different picture
and story within itself.

I walk like a cloud,
a hoodoo,
an ever-changing shape
for no emotion is ever the same, nor I’m sure is the look on my face.
I walk through people who are utterly impressed
slowly seeing the beauty which passes so fast
and can’t be described with words.
I walk in the rocks
and the dust
and the years
and I become a legend as well.

No comments: