Monday, November 24, 2008

Missing My Front Porch

We found an apartment with a fairly spacious balcony, where Matt will be able to create a container garden. We have a nice view of Twin Peaks - a glimpse of nature in the city. We can eat outside and enjoy the weather (although it's a little cold at dinner time these days).

But we can't meet our neighbors.

Our last New Mexico house featured a tiny little front porch, in a neighborhood of front porches. Or, where a porch was lacking, people sat in chairs in the driveway. We could talk to our next door neighbors, say hi to the people walking their dogs, know what the police were up to, and yell at our friend down the street. I can't say we were active participants in the neighborhood, but I did not feel isolated.

Now all I see are the damn tourists on Twin Peaks yelling because it echoes off our building. Isn't it interesting how a 57-unit apartment building can be less friendly than a free-standing house?

I believe in the power of the front porch.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget the power of the alley. One day (maybe in the not so far future) we will share one of those...

Alison said...

Ooh, the not so far future! That sounds promising. Although I don't have an alley here, and the thought of me moving again makes me want to cry...