Tuesday, February 28, 2012

So Maybe the Young Doctors Are Better? (Day 7)

Today I visited a chiropractor for a free Active Release Technique (ART) session. She turns about to be quite young, and I suspect not long out of school, and is likely trying to build up her practice.

I wasn't sure if she would be able to do anything for my toe problem, as it has been termed a "joint" problem, but she surprised me from the start by discussing the two different forms of hallux limitus and noting that I have functional hallux limitus. Neither of my previous podiatrists had tried the test for the functional variety (applying pressure to the ball of the foot while trying to bend the toe up) and therefore had told me that my range of motion was basically fine. She also identified that farther up the metatarsal, some bones had become jammed as a result of the jamming at the toe. That probably explains my upper arch pain that no one had previous been able to explain! She performed an "adjustment" on this location.

I can't say if the 20 minute session helped my toe enough for Sunday, as that is a lot to ask for a 20 minute session. But I was extremely impressed with this doctor's knowledge. I guess paying hundreds of dollars for a top-notch podiatrist doesn't always buy you the knowledge that comes fresh from school.

1 comment:

Ms. S said...

I've had so much more luck with joint issues with my chiro and therapeutic massage (TM). Had somewhat similar issue with knee a few years back. "Regular" doctors saw me for 15 minutes and told me to 'buy' this or that product including expensive new shoes. Saw TM person same day (coincidence, not planned) she did some maneuver on my calf and the problem was gone instantly and never came back. Just my experience.
Am liking your writing, BTW.