Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The funny things people say...

I was walking home from the shuttle today and two fathers with four small children were outside. The kids were riding scooter and bike type things. As I walked up a small boy started pushing his scooter down the sidewalk towards me so I politely stepped to the very edge of the sidewalk. "Watch out for people," a father said. Then to me: "People watch out for kids. Because I've got news for you, you will lose that battle."

Really? I will give him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he was trying to be funny. But I had already ceded the sidewalk and I was smiling. Not sure why I required that admonishment.

In cuter news, a girl of about 4 who was with one of the fathers followed me up the sidewalk on her bike.

"Did you go to the grocery?"

"I did."

"You got any Mac n cheese in there?"

"I don't. I'm sorry."

"Don't your kids like Mac n cheese?" (Well she was cute until she thought I was old.)

"I don't have kids but I like Mac n cheese."

"Then why didn't you buy any?"

Good point, young one.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey hey, you. Just cause you have kids doesn't make you old! I'm about to have 3 and I'm younger than you! ;)

Alison said...

Well yeah but don't you wish people thought you looked too young to be a mom? :) congrats by the way!

Karen said...

Don't worry, even a teenager would look old to a 4 year old.