Friday, January 8, 2010

Happy New (Blog) Year!

Well, we made it through another year!

Did you make any resolutions? I didn't. I am already resolved to run a half marathon in February and another one in May, and then who knows, maybe a whole marathon! Isn't that enough? Yes, clearly I am addicted AND crazy. I have posted a list of my upcoming races in my sidebar for those of you who have expressed interest in joining me for an event sometime. Send me your ideas too!

While we're on the subject, have I mentioned that I signed up for Team in Training again? Don't worry, I'm not fundraising this season - I'm volunteering as a mentor! If you made a resolution to get in shape this year, consider joining Team in Training yourself! You can train for a run, a walk, a hike, a bike, and probably some other things depending on where you live.

Here's the pros:
1. Somebody will be waiting for you at 7:30 am on Saturday so you won't hit your snooze button
2. Somebody will be at the track cheering you on every Thursday night
3. On those long runs, there will be water stops with goodies so you don't have to carry anything yourself
4. You will meet some fantastic people
5. You will raise money for an important cause
6. You will achieve your personal goals

Here's the cons:
1. You have to raise money. It's kind of a lot. But since you are my friend, I'm sure your friends are just as generous, and you will have no problem - I didn't. I surpassed my fundraising minimum by 38%!
2. Quality of coaching seems to vary by team.

During my "off-season" with TNT, I joined a local athletic club, Pac West, to stay training. I haven't gone to very many workouts, but I have found that the participants are less social while the coaches are better. However, I am very glad I trained for my first event with TNT. It is much more sociable, which I think makes it more likely that you will go back and keep training. It is much more beginner oriented. You will never feel lost or overwhelmed. And of course, it was a great cause that kept me motivated to come through for my donors and hold up my end of the bargain. Once I tried to train for a half marathon myself. I think I lasted one week. Or maybe two.

That's my requisite pitch!

And don't forget, it's not to late to pitch in a little for Girls on the Run! I pledged to raise just a couple hundred dollars for them this season, and it's another great cause. After you get hooked on training through TNT, you can go on to become a SoleMate, running buddy, or coach.

Cheers to the New Year (of training)!

P.S. Have I told you about endorphins?! They're pretty awesome!

No comments: